Saturday 14 August 2010

Unpleasant coloured food and drink


There are certain colours that food should not be: blue and grey.


Blue is just wrong and I don’t expect anyone to dispute that (although I did have a friend who said that as a child they used to be given ‘Alien Scrambled Eggs’ on a Saturday morning by her father who was a dab hand with the food colouring!)


Grey is actually found in a few dishes but has Dickensian connotations of thick lumpy porridge or thin, watery gruel.


With this in mind, I was surprised recently by the new milkshake introduced by a certain fast food chain as part of their Summer menu: the Mars Milkshake - a more un-summery, unappetising drink I can’t imagine. Even in the name of research, I wasn’t keen on tring it but then today I noticed a new poster with the drink contents all touched up to be a deep brown. Presumably business has been slow!





No comments:

Post a Comment